Monday, March 2, 2009

Reason #894 I love China

OK, I don't know exactly what number reason this is, but there are countless little things that make me love living in this land. For example, being told I'm beautiful multiple times in one day (yes, it was wonderful to be back in the classroom today). Having a relationship with my fruit seller (which translates as being scolded for not wearing enough clothes). The fact that one of the most common greetings is "Have you eaten?" (I love a culture that revolves around meal time).

In this post I'm labeling the local shoe-repair-hut as reason #894. Here's a picture to give you a better idea of what I'm describing:
Yes, it's a tiny little room on wheels that is parked in the market everyday. And this man does more than repair shoes; he fixes zippers, copies keys, and probably many other things that I have yet to discover. This morning one of the tips of my heeled boots fell off, so I headed off to his shop after class. A few minutes and 10 cents later, my heel had been re-tipped. There are many things in China that take longer to do than they did in America. But having my shoes repaired is one of the conveniences I love!

Today was the first day back in the classroom, and although I wasn't thrilled when my alarm clock went off, it didn't take long for me to fall in love with my job all over again. Yes, the comments on my beauty help with that.

No comments: